[clug] Username

Bryan Kilgallin bryan at netspeed.com.au
Mon Sep 19 17:42:43 UTC 2016

I received a hand-me-down laptop. Set up with a simple and guessable
username. So now I want to replace the latter.

I recall that passwords were supposed to be strange. Is such applicable
to usernames as well?

I wanted an idea of rules and conventions. So I found the following.
What's that about starting lowercase? And I read somewhere else that `.'
was forbidden.

{([a-z_][a-z0-9_]{0,30}) reads as "a lowercase or underscore, followed
by zero to thirty alphanumeric characters", meaning the total length of
the username can be 31 characters.}

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6949667/what-are-the-real-rules-for-linux-usernames-on-centos-6-and-rhel-6
--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/