[clug] Figuring out the optical disk type

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 13:59:20 UTC 2016

On 16/09/16 22:51, Simon Oxwell wrote:
<snipped>

> My sticking point is trying to figure out the type of optical disk in the
> drive is.

<snipped>

> My google-fu hasn't been able turn up anything useful as to what I'm missng
> or even why udevadm info isn't as forthcoming with information.
>
> Anyone have any ideas or any suggestions  as to what secret sauce I might
> be missing, or alternatively any suggestions for other command line tools
> that can identify the media type?

dd if=/dev/sr0 bs=2048k count=1 | file -
cdrecord -prcap dev=/dev/sr0 2>/dev/null | grep 'Current:'
blkid /dev/sr0

libcdio-utils - Utility programs:-
* cd-info - a program which displays CD information: number of tracks,
CD-format and if possible basic information about the format. If libcddb
is available, the cd-info program will display CDDB matches on CD-DA
discs. And if a new enough version of libvcdinfo is available (from the
vcdimager project), then cd-info shows basic VCD information.
* cd-drive - a program which decribes CD-ROM/DVD drive characteristics.
* cd-paranoia - a program for extracting audio from a CD in a jitter-
and error-tolerant way.
* cd-read - a program for performing low-level block reading of a CD or
C image.
* cdda-player - a curses program using the audio controls to play a
CD-DA through the audio output port.
* iso-info - a program for displaying ISO-9660 information from an
ISO-9660 image.
* iso-read - a program for extracting files from an ISO-9660 image.
* mmc-tool - a program for issuing some MMC commands.

<snipped>

> Cheers,
>

> Simon

Kind regards