[clug] Android and USB cameras via OTG. Any suggestions?

steve jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Sun Oct 30 09:06:05 UTC 2016

Does anyone have _experience_ in connecting a USB camera via OTG to an Android device?

I bought a $40 USB inspection camera. It seems to work fine with a PC (as does my alternate test).
Did discover there’s some sort of standard for USB video cameras {UVC?} and that an older camera I have doesn’t support it.

Connected it to an Android 5.0.1 tablet via OTG and tried about 20 free apps. The vendor doesn’t offer any O/S upgrades for this device.
The instructional videos on the Net are all along the lines of “1.. 2… 3… and it just works”.

The OTG is some noname brand from JB HiFi, but I wouldn’t expect that to be a problem as it does support at least one camera.

Device was mostly recognised and the hardware powered up the embedded light, but failed to get an image.
Connected my alternate video camera and it sometimes worked.

I came across some comments that there were camera problems with Android 5.1 (vs 5.0.1 of mine).
Couldn’t quickly find any information on

Wasn’t about to throw money away buying an App without knowing in advance it’d work.
There doesn’t seem to be any notion of a refund on Apps :(
[Which you’d think didn’t comply with the Australian Consumer Law that allows customers to change their mind within a cooling off period.]

So, if you’ve got hands-on experience in connecting USB (video) camera to Android via OTG, could you offer me any advice?
If there are good resources on this, I’d appreciate being pointed there - haven’t discovered them yet.

cheers
steve

--
Steve Jenkin, IT Systems and Design