[clug] ARM devices with complete upstream support

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Fri Oct 28 08:59:41 UTC 2016

On 10/28/16 17:43, Chris Smart wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 02:38:33PM +1100, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
>>>>

>>> And if anyone's interested on how to build your upstream kernel and U-Boot
>>> for Raspberry Pi 2/3, I've just put that on my blog too.
>>>
>>> <https://blog.christophersmart.com/2016/10/27/building-and-booting-upstream-linux-and-u-boot-for-raspberry-pi-23-arm-boards/>
>>
>> Thanks  Chris,
>>
>> I thought I should give it a test for my raspi3. I followed the instructions verbatim but it failed (see below).
>> I am on f24.
>>
>> Some nitpicking though:
>>
>> "Assuming your card is at /dev/sdx (replace as necessary, check dmesg after plugging it in if you’re not sure)"
>>  I suggest you remove the "if...". Always check, the cost of a mistake can be catastrophic.
>>
>> "sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt" should say "sdx1".
>>

> Thanks, I'll fix that.
>
>> cheers
>>
>>> -c
>>
>> $ CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnu- make rpi_3_defconfig
>

> That's my fault - you should be using rpi_3_32b_defconfig as the
> rpi_3_defconfig is 64bit (which I tried to say to avoid).
>
> Can you try that and see how you go? I'll update the blog post.

Yes thanks, this one builds.

I could not see anything on the serial line but I have HDMI and kbd/mouse
connected and I got the "U-Boot>" prompt and the version matches my build.

I removed the kbd/mouse and still got nothing on the serial line (did swap Tx/Rx too).
And just verifying (the supplied picture is not as clear), the connected pins are
         pin  6 (GND)
         pin  8 (TX)
         pin 10 (RX)

I will now continue following your recipe.

cheers
	Eyal

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au)