[clug] IPv6

Stephen Rothwell sfr at canb.auug.org.au
Fri Nov 11 09:47:05 UTC 2016

Hi Bryan,

On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 19:47:06 +1100 "Bryan Kilgallin (PC)" <bryan at netspeed.com.au> wrote:

> So I tested my PC and laptop using the following site.
>
> test-ipv6.com
>
> For both PC and laptop, it reported as follows.
>
> "You appear to have no IPv6 at this time..
>
> /You appear to have no IPv6 address./"
>
> Yet I read that Internode was an early adopter of IPv6.

Internode is not iiNet.  Yes, iiNet baought Internode (and iiNet has
been bought by TPG), but iiNet seems to have not bothered implementing
IPv6 for their customers.

> Whereas the equivalent window on the laptop lists under IPv6 heading,
> an IP address. Which appears to be in the modern IPv6 format!

Does it start with fe80:: ?  That is a link local address (i.e. it is
valid only on the LAN that you are connected to) and is automatically
assigned by Linux if IPv6 is enabled).

> I phoned iiNet's support. And a South African woman wanted me to
> install Windows so that her suggestions would work! In particular,
> she wanted me to use "ipconfig".

Yeah, fun :-(
--
Cheers,