[clug] ICYMI: Raspberry Pi 3 as 'stealth cell tower'

steve jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Thu Nov 3 01:56:59 UTC 2016

John Oliver of NZ has hidden a Rpi3 + BladeRF SDR board inside a printer…
Notably GSM, not any 3G protocols.

Made it onto a few news websites.

<https://julianoliver.com/output/stealth-cell-tower>
> Rogue Cellular Infrastructure Disguised as Office Printer
>
> Stealth Cell Tower is an antagonistic GSM base station in the form of an innocuous office printer. It brings the covert design practice of disguising cellular infrastructure as other things - like trees and lamp-posts - indoors, while mimicking technology used by police and intelligence agencies to surveil mobile phone users.
>
> Masquerading as a regular cellular service provider, Stealth Cell Tower surreptitiously catches phones and sends them SMSs written to appear they are from someone that knows the recipient. It does this without needing to know any phone numbers.
>
> With each response to these messages, a transcript is printed revealing the captured message sent, alongside the victim’s unique IMSInumber and other identifying information. Every now and again the printer also randomly calls phones in the environment and on answering, Stevie Wonder’s 1984 classic hit I Just Called To Say I Love You is heard.

El Reg:

Want to spy on the boss? Try this phone-mast-in-an-HP printer
Hiding in plain sight
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/11/02/printer_spy_box/>

--
Steve Jenkin, IT Systems and Design