[clug] Desktop Environments - Thursday 2016-05-26 19:00

Chris Smart clug at christophersmart.com
Fri May 27 13:03:36 UTC 2016

On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 07:26:39AM +1000, George at Clug wrote:

>Since I mainly use Xfce or Cinnamon, I found out how Gnome 12 and 16
>are different and how to use both of these interfaces/environments.
>I was surprised to learn that Korora does not have Flash installed, I
>wonder how it works with Youtube and other video sites?  I guess I
>should try an installation of Korora and find out.    ; )

We used to ship it, but stopped last release. Not only is it constantly
full of holes, but it is a very old version that doesn't work on a lot
of sites properly. YouTube also has HTML5 now, which I believe they
expect to set as the default by the end of this year.

Adobe abandoned development of Flash under Linux and the baton went to
Googl. Hence the only way to get decent flash under Linux is by using
that as your browser as they use their own plugin framework called
Pepper Plugin API (PPAPI).

So, we offer two options for Flash users:
1) we ship Chrome repo so you can just install it
2) we offer a package freshplayerplugin[1] which will install Chrome and
extract the flash player to make it available for Firefox

>Thanks everyone !

Thanks for all the effort setting up your laptop with multiple VMs to
show off the different desktops.

-c

[1] - https://github.com/i-rinat/freshplayerplugin