[clug] Upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04 problems

jhock at iinet.net.au jhock at iinet.net.au
Fri May 6 02:48:52 UTC 2016

Sorry to interrupt an interesting discussion and getting back to my problem, the:

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

didn't work. I got this:

"....
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 10 not to upgrade.
"1259 not fully installed or removed.
"After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
"Do you want to continue? [Y/n] "

I interpret this to mean that nothing will be added because xubuntu uses the same core as Ubuntu, which didn't upgrade successfully.

I also hoped that if I answer "Y" the  "1257 not fully installed or removed." packages may be reinstalled. However, answering "Y"  gives a mass of content finishing in:

"Processing was halted because there were too many errors.
"E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)"

So I'm back to square one.

I then tried to mount my, encrypted external disk by USB to make a copy of my encrypted home, but there is no mount point in the /etc/fstab file for that device.

How do I mount my external, encrypted disk which has a Seagate label?

Thanks in advance for any help.

John.