[clug] Upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04 problems

Rodney Peters rodneyp at iinet.net.au
Wed May 4 07:09:58 UTC 2016

On Wednesday 04 May 2016 16:41:14 Hal Ashburner wrote:
> Hi-jacking the thread..
>
> On 4 May 2016 at 15:17, Chris Smart <clug at christophersmart.com> wrote:
> > OK, I don't know what the defaults are, but any sane distro will
> > normally put your /home on a separate partition by default.
>
> I was wondering why this is best practise. Especially on a laptop
> where now you have to estimate how much disk you need for your system
> so will likely leave extra and have a hole in that you can't fill with
> useful data like your music, photos, movies etc. It must effectively
> reduce the size of  your usable disk.
>

> You can still rsync just your /home off if everything is on one partition.
> I'm worried I am missing something important. (I've never had a disk
> that was big enough...)
>
> Thanks Chris.

A related aspect is whether or not it remains best practice with an SSD,
where, it seems to me, /home & /var, in particular and to a lesser extent
/usr, if you do a lot of updates, receive many writes.  There might be an
argument that sub-partitioning concentrates the writes into smaller portions
of the SSD - not ideal.

since the thread has already been hijacked :-)

Rod