[clug] Upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04 problems

Hal Ashburner hal.ashburner at gmail.com
Wed May 4 06:41:14 UTC 2016

Hi-jacking the thread..

On 4 May 2016 at 15:17, Chris Smart <clug at christophersmart.com> wrote:

> OK, I don't know what the defaults are, but any sane distro will
> normally put your /home on a separate partition by default.

I was wondering why this is best practise. Especially on a laptop
where now you have to estimate how much disk you need for your system
so will likely leave extra and have a hole in that you can't fill with
useful data like your music, photos, movies etc. It must effectively
reduce the size of  your usable disk.

You can still rsync just your /home off if everything is on one partition.
I'm worried I am missing something important. (I've never had a disk
that was big enough...)

Thanks Chris.