[clug] Upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04 problems

Chris Smart clug at christophersmart.com
Wed May 4 05:17:49 UTC 2016

On Wed, May 04, 2016 at 01:40:58PM +1000, jhock at iinet.net.au wrote:
>Hi Chris,
>
>I had thought of a fresh install but there were two barriers :
>
>1. I don't have an Ubuntu 16.04 bookable USB stick. I guess I could ask a friend to build me one but my EeePC is 32bit and I think his desktop is 64bit.

He should be able to create a boot stick for you even though you're
32bit. Also, you could probably do it yourself by downloading the ISO
and using dd to write it to a stick (although maybe ubuntu does it a
different way).

>2. I'm not sure if I have a /home partition? I just accepted the defaults when setting up Ubuntu years ago. I have remember making an encrypted partition for the swap and asking for my home to be encrypted but I don't know if it is a separate partition to the root?

OK, I don't know what the defaults are, but any sane distro will
normally put your /home on a separate partition by default.

You can check when it boots up with df -h command or check /etc/fstab
file.

Given you can boot to crippled mode you could also plug in a USB disk to
rsync your /home off, or across the network somewhere else.

>I'm currently checking the disk. When it's done I'll try the "apt-get install xubuntu-desktop"  command. Is there any reason why it's "xubuntu" rather than "ubuntu" or does the "x" mean the x.org stuff?

Oh yeah, ubuntu-desktop - xubuntu-desktop installs the Xubuntu desktop
which is Xfce which is more lightweight than Unity (and given you're on
a netbook or something might provide a better experience).

-c