[clug] Upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04 problems

Chris Smart clug at christophersmart.com
Wed May 4 03:21:56 UTC 2016

On Tue, May 03, 2016 at 11:16:36AM +1000, jhock at iinet.net.au wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>My Asus EeePC 1015PX has been running slow since upgrading to Ubuntu 14.04 LTS so I used UbuntuMate which gave me a better interface but it still was slow.
>
>On the weekend I made the mistake of trying to upgrade from to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. I thought it worked and the upgrade suggested that I run:
>
>sudo apt-get autoremove
>
>I did that and that's when things started to go wrong. (:--(

[snip]

Have you thought about just doing a fresh install of 16.04 and keeping
the partition which is for /home (i.e. _not_ formatting it, just and
mounting it to /home) with all your data and be done with it?

Might be easier and quicker than trying to fix it.

Having said that, there might be a way in Ubuntu to install a package
group to get your desktop back, something like:

apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

-c