[clug] rsync --write-batch option that doesn't overwrite destination [solved]

steve jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Thu Mar 31 04:25:29 UTC 2016

I had a rsync question, but answered it in constructing this email.
Such is the Power of the List! don’t even have to _send_ a question to get an answer :)

Want to minimise space used to keep backups of a 30Gb partition image.
xdelta fails - only 32-bit apparently, 4GB limit. didn’t test this. LITS.

Q: How do I _not_ overwrite the destination file(s) when using ‘write-batch’?

As in:
	rsync --write-batch=foo source-file destination-file;
	rm destination-file 		# clean-up the big intermediary file, when happy delta is correct & saved.

which ‘syncs’ destination-file with source-file. I don’t want to clobber either of the original files.

Recovery is simple:
	rsync --read-batch=foo source-file destination-file

A: RTFM :)

     --only-write-batch=FILE like --write-batch but w/o updating destination

as in:
	rsync --only-write-batch=foo source-file destination-file

cheers
steve

--
Steve Jenkin, IT Systems and Design