[clug] anyone keen to talk at March CLUG, Thursday 24th - Suggested Topic: "Using Linux for your personal computer"

George at Clug Clug at goproject.info
Wed Mar 16 10:45:32 UTC 2016

    If no one has a better topic for our next CLUG meeting (24th March
2016), I would like to discuss "Using Linux for your personal
computer".

Some of us are using Linux as a Desktop and others mainly for
servers.  But would you be interested in discussing "Using Linux for
your primary personal computer"  ?

What is the correct term for Gnome, Unity, Xfce, Cinnamon, Mate, KDE,
LXDE, etc ?  Most seem to call these "Desktop environments", while I
think of them as UI's (user interfaces).

I have been using Debian + Xfce as my primary computer now for around
six months, and the only issue I have found so far is the inability to
successfully edit my DV video files (the output keeps getting
corrupted). Though as yet I have not found a suitable UI method for
searching for specific filenames, and/or files that contain specific
text.

The main issues in discussing "Using Linux for your personal
computer", is;
1) that there are many distros, and many UI's and many configurations.
I don't have time time to try them all.

2) I have personal preferences that others would not have, nor
understand, just as others will have personal preferences that I would
not see any value in.

There is so much choice that one can get lost just thinking about or
discussing the variations.

One of my personal preferences is that I don't like (or want) any
Desktop Environment that has a menu which covers or removes my view of
my desktop where I have various applications open, and have carefully
positioned each of their windows, either overlapping or beside each
other (or a combination). I don't want my view of this layout to be
obscured, just to start another application (which is what I use a
Desktop Environment's menu for).

I recall that Paul once said to me that he wanted people to be able to
fully use Linux without having to open a Terminal or run a terminal
command.  I did not agree at that time but now I see the point of his
comment.

I wonder if it would be possible to discuss "Using Linux for your
personal computer", without getting lost in tangents, or in pointless
debates on personal likes?

Maybe a number of people who do use "Linux for their personal
computer", if it was a laptop, could do a 5 minute demo while
explaining why they like their configuration and favourite
applications?

Regards,

George.