[clug] OpenStack slides etc.

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 20:44:33 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 8:59 PM, George at Clug <Clug at goproject.info> wrote:

> I still do not clearly understand what Ansilbe is or if it is truly
> open source or a priority application. I

If by 'priority' you mean 'proprietary', I think I can clear that up for
you.

Ansible is completely Open Source. You can see its GPL3 licence here:
https://github.com/ansible/ansible/blob/devel/COPYING

The organisation that created Ansible also had a closed source proprietary
product called Ansible Tower which can be thought of as a kind of
Enterprise GUI for Ansible. Red Hat have acquired Ansible. A few weeks ago
I attended an Ansible seminar at Red Hat's Canberra office where a Red Hat
Ansible product manager from San Francisco was presenting. I asked him
whether Red Hat intends to also make Ansible Tower Open Source and the
answer was "Yes, but I can't tell you how soon".

So right now you can use the always Open Source Ansible CLI software. In
the future you'll probably also have access to the Ansible Tower GUI as
Open Source software.

--
MC