[clug] PackStack & TripleO quickstart

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 05:53:38 UTC 2016

I think it would be negligent of me to not chime in here with another,
possibly simpler, suggestion for setting up Openstack.

The Openstack-Ansible project, while still under heavy development (like
all of Openstack), is quite useable right now and IMHO is a very easy way
to get a complete Openstack environment up and running.

The Quick Start doc is here:
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/openstack-ansible/developer-docs/quickstart-aio.html

I have also written about it and tried to simplify it here:
http://www.michaelcarden.net/?p=21   Scroll down to 'Preparing the system'
if you're not going to do it on a cloud VM.

An Openstack-Ansible All In One installation (OSA AIO) makes use of LXC to
bring up about 25 containers on one host to run various Openstack services
and external dependencies like RabbitMQ, Galera (MySQL clustered DB) and
memcached.

The current stable Openstack branch is called Mitaka and is tagged in git
as 13.1.3 so that's what I suggest is worth choosing. As of Mitaka,
Openstack-Ansible targets Ubuntu 14.04 as a host platform but we [0]  are
working on Ubuntu 16.04 and Centos 7 support for the next (Newton) release.

And just for fun, I should mention that Openstack releases are named for
geographic features of the location of the Openstack summit every six
months, walking down the alphabet like Ubuntu releases do. The current
Mitaka release reflects the Tokyo summit last year, the upcoming Newton
release is for the Austin summit earlier this year, and we have Ocata
coming up in honour of the Barcelona summit later this year.  It so happens
that the late 2017 summit will be held in Sydney so a 'Q' release is
planned. Right now, 'Queanbeyan' is at the head of the list.

--
MC
[0] Disclaimer, I am employed by Rackspace as an Openstack-Ansible developer