[clug] ntfs-3g anyone?

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Fri Jun 24 09:05:34 UTC 2016

On 24/06/16 17:31, Chris Smart wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 09:27:10AM +1000, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
>>
>> I use ntfs because I need to have the disk used on both linux and windows.
>> If this is an ntfs issue then I will consider splitting the large files and
>> use FAT32.
>>

> You could always split the backup disk into two partitions, one for
> Linux and one for Windows. Personally I wouldn't rely on NTFS for my
> Linux backups (especially if you haven't tarballed them up).

The data is all backups, mostly tars and some dd images.

> Or perhaps you could format it ext4 and backup Windows from Linux.

I back up windows with clonezilla, booted using pxe. Clonezilla is good
when I need to replace the boot/root disk in a hurry. It is a stand alone
recovery image.

> Or perhaps put it on a small embedded device and backup over the
> network?
>
> Anyway, what I was actually wondering was whether the drive works
> reliably under Windows or whether it see similar problems? And also
> whether you have similar problems running it on Linux with ext4.

So far it was reliable under windows but I use it very little there.
I just wast to keep the option of reading the disk there.

In fact, I do have a linux vm on windows which could always read the
disk. Yes, I have a plan b and a plan c...

> That might help to eliminate hardware and/or ntfs-3g.
>
> -c

cheers

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au)