[clug] ntfs-3g anyone?

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Fri Jun 24 08:56:35 UTC 2016

After trying a few things as I posted about, and finding that the latest ntfs-3g
works well, I decided to re-run the checksums using the old (native to f19) ntfs-3g
to confirm that this really was the problem. It did not fail this time. I tried
three times more with clean results.

I now do not know what caused the original problem. It was very unusual, and I am
now worried about using the disk. However, since I do validate it with checksums
each time I can assume that a clean run can be trusted.

I wonder if attaching the disk to windows quietly fixed something.

I should add that initially I wrote to the disk on linux, and got millions of ntfs
errors, and was unable to complete the data transfer. I then moved it to windows
where I clean formatted it and copied the files off a samba share. I then connected
it to linux to get the checksums and where I started seeing the inconsistent read
failures. It is this last process that I posted about, assuming that it has nothing
to do with the earlier trouble.

However, is it possible that some data was left hanging around from the earlier time,
where ntfs was unable to properly close the volume (it was probably removed dirty).
And could linux have used this stale data against the newly formatted and filled disk?
I can see that no bad data was written to the disk though, I just wonder if there was
a cache issue.

I will keep a closer eye on it now.

cheers

--