[clug] ntfs-3g anyone?

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Tue Jun 21 23:27:10 UTC 2016

On 22/06/16 08:24, Rodney Peters wrote:
> On Tuesday, 21 June 2016 23:11:09 AEST Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
>> On 21/06/16 20:37, Tony Lewis wrote:
>>> It's complete speculation but I'd consider if the USB port is dodgy inside
>>> your Linux system.>
>>  > Maybe it's not delivering enough power or good enough data connection.
>>  > Maybe the 2.5" HDD is right on the limit of the power draw, so any other
>>  > flash drive you put in doesn't have that problem.
>> I was thinking about  this too. This is a USB3.0 disk so should have enough
>> power. Yet, a similar 1.5TB USB3.0 disk does not show this problem.
>>
>> I attached a USB2.0 power meter between the disk and the PC. The disk did
>> come up in USB2.0 mode. It consumed 520mA idle and 620mA reading the raw
>> device. I think that USB3.0 should be able to handle this demand reliably.
>>
>> Nevertheless, is there not some check to detect data corruption on the USB
>> bus? Is there no other error detection in the disk itself? I am surprised
>> that not one error was ever logged from any system.
>>
>> cheers
>>
>>> Tony

> It depends on the origin of the USB 3.0 port itself.  I have an economy add-
> on, that although it has a molex power connector attached, won't handle 2.5"
> HDD and essentially works only with flash media.
>
> I suggest you check the ntfs-3g website.  Does it support > 2 TB ?.

Done that early and did not find any reference to such a limit. I would have
expected this mentioned in the log when the volume refuses to mount (as is
happening with Version 2016.2.22.

> Would you be better off formatting ext4 ?   I don't use NTFS with Linux,
> because I am not confident that 100 % of the essential functions are handled,
> NTFS being closed source.

I use ntfs because I need to have the disk used on both linux and windows.
If this is an ntfs issue then I will consider splitting the large files and
use FAT32.

> Rod

My next test will be to boot my windows8.1 laptop into linux and run the
same checksum program. This is the machine that originally wrote this volume.

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au)