[clug] ideas for CLUG talk on 23rd of June?

Randall Crook rcrook9190 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 02:53:01 UTC 2016

I have been experimenting with virtualisation on an old IBM server at home. I started with VirtualBox running a couple of virtual servers (minecraft server etc). Then, when I found that JPL was delivering a medium scale OracleVM server farm to the tracking station I installed and started to played with it.

Having read a fair bit and played a little bit with the OpenStack project , I decided to switch my little OracleVM server “farm” at home to OpenStack.

The RDO project has a tool to help install OpenStack on one or more machines called packstack. It uses a number of other open source  tools to automate the complex installation and configuration processes for the many confusing/complex modules that make up an OpenStack environment. Which is good news for us dumb sysadmins who don’t know a great deal about developing.

RDO is a RedHat sponsored community that develops tools for the deployment of OpenStack in the Redhat flavoured linux ecosystems. It's where RedHat tunes and polishes its own OpenStack products.

OpenStack is a “cloud” infrastructure built on I number of FOSS and vendor supplied products to create scalable and versatile Virtual/Cloud environments.

More than that and you will need to see the talk. If that’s if people are interested.. ;)

Regards,

Randall.