[clug] Photo management?

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 07:22:35 UTC 2016

On 22 December 2015 at 19:14, Chris Smart <clug at christophersmart.com> wrote:

> What do people use for photo management (that works well)? I have
> thousands of photos from dozens of different devices on a network share
> which I need to make useful somehow - that is, if you want to look up
> people or events or such you can do so from a range of devices.
>
> Mission impossible?

No.
DigiKam <https://www.digikam.org/> *will* do that for you (I use it to
manage 10s of K or images, and versions of those images - many of which are
RAW).

I allows creation of "albums" from different devices, meta tagging (either
in the actual file or in the database), fingerprinting and duplication
detection (including find images that match your sketch), and facial
detection. Light table, custom colour profiles. In short, everything you'd
find in the high priced commercial image management and photo editing tools
- and more.