[clug] I feel like a newbie... question

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 23:06:03 UTC 2016

For future reference.... *always* before doing a dist-upgrade, do
"apt-get -yd dist-upgrade" before doing apt-get dist-upgrade (download
all packages but don't install them yet).

e.g. apt-get -yd dist-upgrade&&apt-get -y dist-upgrade (download all
packages and *if* successful, do the actual upgrade)

1. Check that GRUB is actually borked by pressing ESC early in the boot
sequence. If it's borked (very unlikely) boot from a live CD or debian
based USB with the same kernel and follow Bob's chroot instructions
(then try downloading the missing packages or --fix-missing).

2. If GRUB is not borked and you get a GRUB rescue console - post here
and someone will walk you through the process of using the rescue
console to boot your previous kernel.

Q. Is this a dual-boot machine? UEFI??

On 21/02/16 08:46, Robert Edwards wrote:
> On 21/02/2016 8:26 am, David C wrote:
>> I agree with Rodney's description, I haven't used supergrub, but it
>> sounds
>> the right tool for the job. Not having a grub prompt suggests this is an
>> easy fix, even though it looks bad.
>>
>> If you don't get your hands on supergrub, you should be able to fix it
>> in a
>> live CD with a root prompt
>> mount $your_root_partition /mnt
>> grub-install --boot-partition=/mnt/boot $your_hard_drive
>>
>> Your hard drive is probably /dev/sda and your root partition is probably
>> /dev/sda1 but you should check before reinstalling grub.
>
> If it were my install and I wanted to repair it, I would:
>  - try booting a rescue image (Ubuntu or other)
>  - checking and, if necessary, repairing the root partition
>  - mount the root partition
>  - backup anything I really want to keep
>  - chroot into the root partition (need to bind mount /proc, /sys, /dev
>     etc. first)
>  - try an "apt-get -f install" to fix any packages that aren't fully
>     installed

and post the error messages :)

>  - either run grub from the cmdline, or force remove and re-install it
>
> see how that goes.
>
> cheers,
>
> Bob Edwards
>
>> On 21 Feb 2016 08:05, "Rodney Peters" <rodneyp at iinet.net.au> wrote:
>>
>>> More likely a kernel update has failed to be configured in GRUB and the
>>> rest of
>>> Ubuntu is in good working order.
>>>
>>> You could download Supergrub 2 and put that on USB or CD to boot
>>> from.  You
>>> should then be able to use the menu find and boot the Ubuntu
>>> installation.
>>> Once booted go through the bootloader setup again.
>>>
>>> Parted Magic rescue CD also contains Supergrub 2.
>>>
>>> Rod

>>> system.

>>> the

>>> services