[clug] I feel like a newbie... question

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Sat Feb 20 21:46:49 UTC 2016

On 21/02/2016 8:26 am, David C wrote:
> I agree with Rodney's description, I haven't used supergrub, but it sounds
> the right tool for the job. Not having a grub prompt suggests this is an
> easy fix, even though it looks bad.
>
> If you don't get your hands on supergrub, you should be able to fix it in a
> live CD with a root prompt
> mount $your_root_partition /mnt
> grub-install --boot-partition=/mnt/boot $your_hard_drive
>
> Your hard drive is probably /dev/sda and your root partition is probably
> /dev/sda1 but you should check before reinstalling grub.

If it were my install and I wanted to repair it, I would:
  - try booting a rescue image (Ubuntu or other)
  - checking and, if necessary, repairing the root partition
  - mount the root partition
  - backup anything I really want to keep
  - chroot into the root partition (need to bind mount /proc, /sys, /dev
     etc. first)
  - try an "apt-get -f install" to fix any packages that aren't fully
     installed
  - either run grub from the cmdline, or force remove and re-install it

see how that goes.

cheers,

Bob Edwards