[clug] A better ADSL modem

George at Clug Clug at goproject.info
Sun Dec 18 06:18:07 UTC 2016

Like yourself, we used to have dropouts that broke our connection,
usually around 3:20pm.  After VisionStream checked the line, found a
few faults, then Telstra putting us on another pair, with the result
we no longer have dropouts bad enough that we loose the Internet.
However because I still leave the modem set to ADSL2+ to get the extra
1 to 1.5 mbps over ADSL1, the modem logs record various short duration

Within three years I am hopeful we will get NBN  : )

At Sunday, 18-12-2016 on 16:55 Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:

On 18/12/16 15:11, Mike Carden wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 18, 2016 at 3:09 PM, Michael Still  wrote:
>> I have a spare netgear that was selected on the basis of being
>> on whirlpool for marginal DSL connections.
>> Want to borrow it to play?
> Yes please. That sounds like a worthwhile experiment.

Yes it is.

I recommend looking for the problem elsewhere too. I had major issues
my ADSL connection, intermittently for over a year. Had a few
visits that did not help much.

After swapping the wires (to the exchange) etc., the final step was to
replace the exchange side modem (whatever it is called), after which
connection became very stable (now been up for a few months and at a
sync speed higher than before.

I also noted that there is a telstra pit behind my house which is
covered, freely collecting water and mud. I often had drop-outs after
heavy rain.

Good luck.

Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au)

linux mailing list