[clug] A better ADSL modem

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Sun Dec 18 05:55:47 UTC 2016

On 18/12/16 15:11, Mike Carden wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 18, 2016 at 3:09 PM, Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a spare netgear that was selected on the basis of being recommended
>> on whirlpool for marginal DSL connections.
>>
>> Want to borrow it to play?
>>

> Yes please. That sounds like a worthwhile experiment.

Yes it is.

I recommend looking for the problem elsewhere too. I had major issues with
my ADSL connection, intermittently for over a year. Had a few iinet/Telstra
visits that did not help much.

After swapping the wires (to the exchange) etc., the final step was to
replace the exchange side modem (whatever it is called), after which the
connection became very stable (now been up for a few months and at a
sync speed higher than before.

I also noted that there is a telstra pit behind my house which is badly
covered, freely collecting water and mud. I often had drop-outs after
heavy rain.

Good luck.

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au)