[clug] RedHat OpenSource And Proprietary

Craig Small csmall at enc.com.au
Fri Dec 16 21:38:14 UTC 2016

Bit late to the piece but here is my take. The relationship between Red Hat
and Open Source is mixed, but I definitely believe the mix when you all add
it up, is a net positive.

There used to be some kernel modules that RHEL had that concerned some
people would cause some sort of "lock in", I've not heard of these in
recent memory so they may have been some historical problem.

Pretty much any package you get for Red Hat you can get elsewhere and
generally they are the same thing. Red Hat like all other distributions
have their own patches. Some of these make it into the upstream and some do
not. SuSE often does the same thing but often the delta for both is
upstream not accepting the patches (whether that makes the Red Hat flavour
of packages better or worse actually depends on the specific package and
patch and possibly even your use-case) though they seem to forget to send
them sometimes and I do believe it's a real accident.

Red Hat has been great for getting Open Source out into places that perhaps
would have never considered it. The whole "pay someone to yell at if it
breaks" scenario that departments and enterprises love. It might sound
trite but it is a real barrier for some places that they have solved.

For bug fixing, this is also a mixed scenario. All distributions triage
bugs and fix some themselves and send patches upstream. I find with my
packages that the Red Hat guys will often look into the bug and give a fix
(again, some good some bad). The biggest problem with Red Hat and bugs is
their bug tracker has a lot of hidden bugs. So if you report a bug to Red
Hat, you're probably not always going to get the upstream guys to be able
to look at it. This is a continual frustration with me. Contrast that with
Debian and it's Social Contract #3 and it's open BTS which shows pretty
much everything. That being said, Red Hat have people that may be able to
fix it anyhow.

On the packages I look after, Red Hat are definitely a major contributor. I
have to exclude Debian out of that list, because its kind of a fridge door
problem (the packages I, a Debian developer, look after always have Debian
contribution). SuSE would come next with their updates and then its "the
rest". If "individual contributor" was a vendor, then it's #1 with Red Hat
#2 and SuSE #3.

Operating Red Hat, the problem often comes around to people not realizing
there is an operational support cost. This to me is not Red Hat's fault,
its their operating model so its not exactly a hidden surprise but for
those places where they do the set and forget type setup (the ones probably
running a Windows XP somewhere everyone has used and forgotten about) this
can be a shock when things stop updating.

 - Craig

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 9:00 PM George at Clug <Clug at goproject.info> wrote:

>     Paul,
>
> Thank you for an excellent explanation of Red Hat.
>

> George.
>

> At Monday, 12-12-2016 on 01:54 Paul Wayper wrote:
>

> On 11/12/16 09:21, George at Clug wrote:
> >     I have often wondered where RedHat sits with being FOSS,
> > OpenSource, and/or Proprietary
>
> OK, as some people may know I work for Red Hat.  I'm going to answer
> in a
> personal capacity, and since I haven't been working there for long I'm
> going
> to answer in general :-)
>
> > So today I searched the intenet, and did not find a simple answer,
> > just lots of rambling.
>
> Looking at the whole ecosystem and marketplace for Free, Open Source
> Software,
> to me there's one basic tenet - you make money from services[1], not
> the
> software.  For the most part that means paid support and/or paid
> consulting
> (e.g. if you want a Red Hat Ceph cluster built, we can do that for you
> for
> money).  Obviously at that point we get bogged down in the messy
> world of
> licenses, entitlements, periods of service and other measures of how
> much a
> customer has to pay for that support or consulting.  So at that
> point it looks
> less 'open', since those things are designed to make sure the service
> provider
> makes money off its clients.
>
> I'd argue (and I think I would have argued this before I started my
> current
> job) that the property of 'openness' is orthogonal to the property of
> 'customer relationship'.  In other words, the fact that Red Hat has
> customers
> who pay money to have regular updates, timely updates for security
> problems,
> and readily available support, doesn't preclude it also contributing
> to a
> large number of open source projects in many many ways.
>
> [1] Some companies, I observe, sell products based on the GNU/Linux
> kernel but
> build an entire proprietary software stack on top of that and don't
> release
> the source code for any of it.  Some companies sell support for an
> open source
> product but offer no way for customers to contribute bugs or
> patches.  It's
> worth remembering here that nothing in the GNU Public License prevents
> people
> selling access to the software, as long as they also give access to
> the source
> code for free.
>
> And it's also worth remembering that many many companies have packaged
> GNU/Linux in some proprietary form, not distributed the source code,
> got sued,
> [...]
Craig Small (@smallsees)   http://dropbear.xyz/     csmall at : enc.com.au
Debian GNU/Linux           http://www.debian.org/   csmall at : debian.org
GPG fingerprint:        5D2F B320 B825 D939 04D2  0519 3938 F96B DF50 FEA5