[clug] RedHat OpenSource And Proprietary

Hal Ashburner hal.ashburner at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 22:39:02 UTC 2016

I believe if you have a red hat enterprise subscription of some kind
you can get source for absolutely everything they ship under a FOSS
license
They won't ship you nvidia drivers for example because it isn't FOSS.

You can't redistribute redhat trademarks and logos. But you can use a
single RHEL sub to repackage your own distribution. This is what
Centos is and where it came from.
1) Get a RHEL sub
2) Get the sources
3) strip out the redhat trademarks and logos
4) compile those sources into rpms
5) ship it.

I've personally never had a problem using Centos on a test rig to be
equivalent to an RHEL production environment.

Nobody with an opinion thinks any given distribution is perfection and
is 100% happy with every single one of the choices made by a distro
and I'm no exception. I do think RedHat do the FOSS thing right.

Maybe someone can correct me and point to some piece of code RedHat
own that they have not made available under a FOSS license, but I'm
not aware of it yet. RedHat have also employed a bunch of FOSS
developers committing to upstream repositories. One of the bigger code
contributions made by a commercial entity to the FOSS stack on the
laptop I'm using to write this email, if not the biggest. Despite the
fact that this laptop is not running RedHat, centos nor fedora.