[clug] RedHat OpenSource And Proprietary

George at Clug Clug at goproject.info
Sat Dec 10 22:21:10 UTC 2016

    I have often wondered where RedHat sits with being FOSS,
OpenSource, and/or Proprietary

So today I searched the intenet, and did not find a simple answer,
just lots of rambling

Can anyone explain to me if Red Hat is OpenSource or Proprietary. And
how much of the proprietary code it purchases does it then open up to
the OpenSource community?

What features/programs are available in Red Hat but not in other Linux
Distributions because these are proprietary to Red Hat?

Is there a chance that Red Hat will become a different Linux which
will not be compatible with other Linux distributions due to being
more proprietary than OpenSource?

What is the history of KVM?  I believe that Red Hat has provided this
technology to OpenSource (FOSS?). Yesterday using Virt-Manager I tried
to migrate a VM from CentOS to Debian and also from Debian to CentOS,
but due to differences in environments I was not able to. This may
only be differences in folder layouts, but are there larger
differences?

I realise that drivers for hardware that are provided by the hardware
manufactures, are mostly not OpenSource and are proprietary, but what
about Red Hat's proprietary code? Where does this sit?

Can Red Hat code be 100% compiled from source? (excepting for hardware
driver specific code).

https://linux.org.au/introduction-linux-free-software-and-open-source

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat

http://www.stromian.com/Book/Chap12.html