[clug] Skolelinux

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Thu Dec 8 21:10:51 UTC 2016

On 9/12/2016 2:25 am, George at Clug wrote:
>     Hi,
>
> Has anyone used or researched about DebianEdu ?  I was not able to
> find any Australian schools using it.

Hi George,

ACT and NSW public schools have been directed by their governing
Departments/Directorates to go with Google Apps For Education (GAFE),
which, in the opinion of some, likely violate privacy principles in
the Cwth Privacy Act...

The Dept/Directorates are very risk averse to adopting innovative
technology, but not so risk averse to exposing the vulnerable in our
society to the potential vagaries of privately-owned U.S.-based
marketing companies...

The best bet for Australian school take up of something like Skolelinux
would be in the private school sector, unless an Education Minister
could be persuaded of the potential pit-falls of giving our kids
assessment artifacts and metadata away so readily.

Let us know how you go testing DebianEdu.

cheers,

Bob Edwards.

Does look interesting. I would