[clug] IPv6

Francis Whittle fj.whittle at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 21:02:53 UTC 2016

On Wed, 2016-12-07 at 00:30 +1100, Bryan Kilgallin (PC) wrote:
> Thanks, Francis:
>
> > If you're on iiNet and want to try out IPv6, You might be
> > interested
> > their IPv6 Trial (which has been ongoing for a few years now), with
> > forums at http://ipv6trial.iinet.net.au/index.php - requires free
> > registration to view, but then you get information about how to
> > connect
> > from there.
>
> What I read without registering--was several years old!

Years old, but still effective.

> >  Warning: the discussion boards are full of phantom spam.
>
> That's not my favourite literature!

Indeed - but at long as you don't click on any of it ...

> > Last information I had was that the freezone is not available over
> > ipv6.
>
> It's only commercial/proprietary?

freezone is unmetered stuff i.e. doesn't count towards your
upload/download quota (green bits on your usage graph)

> > This isn't really relevant because all the interesting stuff -
> > i.e. the Debian mirror on ftp.iinet.net.au - is only available over
> > IPv4 anyway.
>
> What info is restricted to IPv6, unavailable via IPv4?

Hard to say, it's the Internet after all.  But if you go to kame.net
the turtle will only dance on IPv6.

What I meant is that security updates for any distro mirrored on
iiNet's server are still free, because they come at you over IPv4.