[clug] killing a looping / hung script?

Bob Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Tue Dec 6 06:23:33 UTC 2016

On 06/12/16 17:05, Paul Wilson wrote:
> I have a perl script which occasionally goes into a hung or wait state, and
> wanted to know is there a standard way to automatically kill this process
> after some timeout (eg 1 min).
> Note the perl script is doing a Serial port read and for some reason it
> waits if there is an issue with the Arduino.
>
> ie can I use some sort of wrapper script to check this state and kill it?
>
> Paul

Don't know about Perl, but in C/glibc you would use select(2) (or,
if you are all "oh, I might miss a signal" etc., then you might use
poll(2)...). Not really a wrapper as much as an attempt to fix the
underlying problem.

I'd be surprised if Perl didn't have something equivalent.

cheers,

Bob Edwards.