[clug] WebSDR

Owen Cook owen.cook at gmx.com
Mon Aug 29 07:48:46 UTC 2016

> Subject: Re: [clug] WebSDR
>
> George:
>
> > The below articles could be a bit too technical.
> >

> > http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7505
> >

> > Listening to FM Radio in Software, Step by Step
>
> I did find it somewhat technical. Though I read through it OK. And I
> noticed impracticality!
>
> {We managed to turn a couple thousand dollars' worth of hardware into
> the equivalent of two $5 transistor radios, and we learned a bunch in
> the process.}
>
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7505?page=0,3

Yes, and I would commend your use of the good old trannie to listen to fm, sdr is definitely an overkill for that purpose.

However, perhaps on the next level up, sdr/digital walkie talkies, like mobile phones are capable of all sorts of things that are simply not possible with analogue devices. You don't have to say "over and out" when finished talking. Encryption becomes a piece of cake.

And then you get into the world of commerce where money dictates what is used, and software is a million times cheaper than hardware. One device can be used for transmissions in all modes. Digital TV would be the most obvious application I can think of.

Digital Signal processing (DSP) is now in the hands of people like you and I.  No longer do you need a billion dollar NASA budget to get the data back from Pluto. The surveillance people will tell you that you can no longer hide in the noise. We don't need radio techs anymore, just software engineers and programmable logic arrays -  sort of.

Owen