[clug] Any Small USB Wifi Adaptors of AP?

Rodney Peters rodneyp at iinet.net.au
Mon Aug 15 00:48:55 UTC 2016

On Monday, 15 August 2016 10:15:01 AEST jm wrote:
> I'm looking at building a Linux based Wifi Access Point in a constrained
> space. There is only room for a nano or possibly a mini wifi apdaptor
> (ideally the nano). The Atheros 9k is known to work but the only one
> I've found is the TP-Link TL-WN722N which is 170mm tall when you include
> the antenna. The maximum clearance available from the edge of the USB
> connector is 20mm outward. Sidewards there is a little more space say
> 10mm either side for a total width of 35mm.  This is for a residential
> set up so range only needs to be 50m. Is there another chipset which can
> be used with Linux to create an Access Point and/or a Wifi USB adaptor
> which can be used to provide an Access Point in this constrained space?
>

> Jeff.

I use one of these as an AP:

http://www.dx.com/p/335418

It comes with openWRT, which worked well enough, although I have flash upgraded
to ROOter - the locally maintained derivative.

Also available as a bare board from the same vendor, which might save a little
bit of space.  Worth checking out to ascertain the orientation of the internal
antenna.  Either do require 5V power via microUSB socket.

Might not quite fit your space requrement, but I mount mine higher than other
kit, using self-adhesive hook & loop tape, and connect to a switch via cat 5
cable..

I use mine only at short range.  In my (limited) experience low powered AP
don't penetrate walls etc very well.

Rod