[clug] ZFS on Linux

Chris Smart clug at christophersmart.com
Mon Apr 11 09:41:02 UTC 2016

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 02:11:41PM +1000, jm wrote:
> Looking at for an alternative to traditional RAID for work. I've used
> ZFS as a SUN appliance in the past for a NFS and am think of short
> listing it for further consideration. I was wondering...
>
> Has anyone used ZFS on LInux in anger? What was your experience like?
> Any problems? Any alternatives that are worth considering?

The native port of ZFS from OpenSolaris[1] appears to be pretty stable
although I've not used it (I use btrfs instead). Definitely better than
any FUSE based system, though.

It's supposedly a first-class citizen in the new Ubuntu, who have
controversially decided to build and distribute the CDDL licensed module
directly with the kernel[2].

-c

[1] http://zfsonlinux.org/
[2]