[clug] Debian Jessie file system checking on boot up

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 10:40:31 UTC 2016

On 05/04/16 20:11, George at Clug wrote:
>     Does anyone know how to get a Debian Jessie server to check and
> repair its root file system on boot up ?
>
> I have tried "shutdown -rF now" but this command fails with an error
> message.
>
> And the below idea does not cause fsck to run either;
> $ sudo touch /forcefsck

That hasn't worked for sometime (since Jessie became stable).

do you get a failed in the output of:-
systemctl status systemd-fsck-root.service

e.g.:-
● systemd-fsck-root.service - File System Check on Root Device
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/systemd-fsck-root.service; static)
   Active: inactive (dead)
           start condition failed at Tue 2016-04-05 11:10:02 AEST; 9h ago
           ConditionPathExists=!/run/initramfs/fsck-root was not met

If so - take a look at the man page referenced in the line below it. If
you get stuck, post.

NOTE: that in my case the fail is deliberate (I don't want fsck on boot
- I only run it when I get a warning).

<snipped>

Kind regards