[clug] Advice about buying a new laptop

jm jeffm at ghostgun.com
Mon Sep 21 12:37:03 UTC 2015

Your biggest problem is likely to be drivers and having the laptop
behave correctly when you close the lid to put it to sleep. I'll leave
it up to others to comment on specific brands. Just a few questions from
me that may help shape the discussion.

I'm guessing the dual boot requirement is either for games or software
requirement of the degree your doing (eg, you must use M$ Word). Would
this be correct? Can you elaborate on the application you need to run
(or are likely to run)?

Do you mind buying online sight unseen, or would you prefer to shop in
person?

How fast do you need it?

Depending on your answers it may limit the available choices.

This would go down like a ton of bricks with the sales person, but you
could create a live USB image to boot off and try on or two laptops in a
store to see if the obvious things checked out.

The good news is that things are getting better and Linux support is
improving al the time.

Jeff.