[clug] Microsoft has developed its own Linux.

Paul Wayper paulway at mabula.net
Sun Sep 20 07:08:44 UTC 2015

On 20/09/15 09:16, Kim Holburn wrote:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/18/microsoft_has_developed_its_own_linux_repeat_microsoft_has_developed_its_own_linux/
>
>> Redmond reveals Azure Cloud Switch, its in-house software-defined networking OS

Can't wait for the GPL lawsuits.  Because anything that comes out with that
code will be scrutinised inch by inch to see whether they've met the
requirements of all the difference licenses of the code.

I love the way they spin "we found we couldn't write our custom own operating
system, or use one of our many existing kernels, to do what we wanted, so we
used Linux" into "we're developing exciting new opportunities".

Neither the Azure page nor the Register article mention licensing - neither
"how we're publishing all the code we're reusing" nor "how we're licensing
what we've eventually bundled together".

It is for this reason that those who've watched Microsoft for a long time end
up being very sceptical about Microsoft's motives and tactics.

Paul