[clug] Fwd: Introducing a few games that run on Linux

Bob Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Wed Oct 21 02:33:37 UTC 2015

On 21/10/15 13:07, George at Clug wrote:
> Thanks Bob for you review.  I have corrected the Minecraft section.

Hi George - great - I hope my "review" wasn't too brutal...

> Sadly all the games are commercial (or have a commercial element to
> them), none that I would call FOSS.

There are, of course, some excellent FOSS games out there as well.
Some are quite dated now, but then, so am I...

> I exported as a PDF file:
> http://goproject.info/clug/files/DebianXfceAndSelectedGames.pdf and yes,
> just having the text in the email works well.

I have my Thunderbird presently set to "View Message Body as: Simple
HTML" and it is rendering just fine for me. But I would really recommend
just sending it as plain text, or MarkDown as a concession. Leave
all the HTML markup out of it.

> Any comments on the relevance of including the explanation about the
> version and installation of Linux that I did the testing on?
> I was wondering if including this was useful or not. I included it as
> many articles that I read do not explain the actual Linux installation
> and this can very much affect what supporting packages are available or
> are missing.

I'd err on the side of including it. It is helpful to know what you
tested it all on. Then, if it doesn't work for me, I have a reference
point to revert to.

> I had not mentioned that Pokemmo, The Settlers OnLine, and Dragon Fable
> are Flash based games and thus don't require installation, just the
> flashplugin-nonfree for Iceweasel.

Good to know - although I personally wouldn't play them...

cheers,

Bob Edwards.