[clug] October CLUG - Thursday Oct 22 - Lightning talks - short focused fun for all

Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org
Mon Oct 12 03:13:48 UTC 2015

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 02:02:15PM +1100, Bob Edwards wrote:
> On 12/10/15 13:00, Chris Smart wrote:
> >
> >It's interesting that the New European Driving Cycle (NEDC) test that
> >everyone needs to pass to meet EURO ratings is not actually based on
> >real-world driving.
>
> I think it is reasonably well understood that the Europeans are a lot
> less interested in emissions and more focussed on fuel-efficiency than
> the U.S. regulators. Apparently you can tune a diesel EMS for one or
> the other, but hard to get both (and also have some performance that
> the customer will be happy to pay for).
>
> My question(s) is: given the vulnerability of the VW brand now, there
> is some likelihood that they may be interested in doing something
> novel to restore the brand - is FOSS'ing their code part of the answer?
>
> That is, would people (on this list) factor in the availability of
> source code into their next car purchasing decision?

Yes, if there were cars with full publicly available open details on the
entire software system running it and documented public use of things like
GPL software and open encruyption for security aspects and such I would put
it on the top of a purchase list, heck I would be likely to consider buying
a new car rather than simply using the one I have until it dies. However I:
suspect I am an outlier to the general population alas.

	See You
	    Steve

--
Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org http://svana.org/sjh/diary
got a garden of songs where i grow all my thoughts