[clug] October CLUG - Thursday Oct 22 - Lightning talks - short focused fun for all

Chris Smart clug at christophersmart.com
Mon Oct 12 02:00:54 UTC 2015

On 12/10/15 11:26, Bob Edwards wrote:
> Wikipedia says "NOx emissions during driving were up to 35 times
> higher." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_emissions_scandal)
> which puts them well outside the regulatory requirements.
> (Bob's comment: 35 times higher is "massive").
>
> Wikipedia also cites various articles claiming, statistically based on
> epidemiological studies, up to 100 people may have died in the U.S.
> over some period of time due to the VW "defeat device"...
>
> Whether or not they are actually worse than other diesel cars, I don't
> know. But they were sold (and purchased) on the basis of having
> compliant (or better than compliant) emissions, which they clearly
> don't have.

It's interesting that the New European Driving Cycle (NEDC) test that
everyone needs to pass to meet EURO ratings is not actually based on
real-world driving.

It therefore makes it's easy to pass the test but not even get close in
the real world.

Turns out that almost no-one meets the standard in real-world
driving[1], it's just that VW group took it a step further and relied on
a cheat device to pass the test:

"New test results published [by Adac, Europe's largest motoring
organisation] today showed that dozens of diesel cars from multiple
manufacturers fail to meet specified European emission targets. Vehicles
from Renault, Nissan, Hyundai, Citroen, Fiat, Volvo, and Jeep were all
tested in real-world conditions — and all of them found severely
wanting. The average Mercedes Benz produced at least 2.2x more NOx than
the official Euro-5 level and 5x more than the ecological Euro-6
emission standard allows. Honda’s diesels emitted between 2.6x and 6x
more NOx than allowed.

Mazda and Mitsubishi both failed the test as well. Out of 50 vehicles
that supposedly met Euro-6 levels and 150 Euro-5 diesels, just five
vehicles out of more than 200 emitted real-world particulate levels that
matched their in-house lab tests."

[1]
<http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/216039-more-manufacturers-found-to-violate-diesel-emissions-standards-but-blame-the-test-not-the-vehicles>

-c