[clug] October CLUG - Thursday Oct 22 - Lightning talks - short focused fun for all

Bob Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Fri Oct 9 04:08:35 UTC 2015

On 08/10/15 12:33, Steven Hanley wrote:
> All
>
> So no one keen on this idea?
>
> No proposals/talks reeceived so far.
>
> Also I have just realised I will be in Adelaide that day so can not attend
> the meeting.
>
> 	See You
> 	    Steve

Another idea for a topic to discuss on the 22nd: Engine Management
Systems. Volkswagen are presently claiming that just a handful of
software developers were responsible for the debacle VW are now in.

How do you spell FOSS?

How is it that this code has gone undetected for up to 8 years, even
by our trusty government regulators? What other hidden secrets are
there in our modern computerised devices (we already know a lot about
the "extras" on our Apple and Google devices)? How do we get these
"additional" functionalities detected and assessed? (How do we know
that the PMs car isn't carrying a manufacturer-installed bugging device,
for example?).

Is FOSS the answer? Are we ready for some of these safety-critical
systems to be tinkered with by hobbyists (aka hackers)? Is there a line
that we can draw between what is safe to tinker with and what isn't?

Is the first step to get better FOSS tools to allow us to monitor what
our cars (and other "things") are doing, before we go for actually
changing anything?

I, for one, have been motivated to finally go and get that OBD-II
interface, which works on one of my vehicles but not the other. I
need to find out more about Ford's earlier "PWM" proprietry OBD
protocol and how to interface to it.

Surely lots of other folk are already discussing these issues in the
light of Volkswagen's reluctant admissions, but I haven't stumbled
across any of them yet.

cheers,

Bob Edwards.