[clug] Shell scripting problem using 'process substitution' [ >( pipeline ) ]

steve jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Thu Nov 12 04:54:13 UTC 2015

> On 12 Nov 2015, at 9:42 AM, George at Clug <Clug at goproject.info> wrote:
>
> I agree with you, I would not want to rsync the same data over and
> over again. Though I was my understanding that rsync should only copy
> over the new data, though I don't know how much data transfer there
> would be for rsync to determine if the whole file had changed or not.
>
> Maybe I have not grasp exactly what you want to achieve?

George,

Thanks very much for your thoughts and time.

It’s not the rsync that worries me, but the reduction & reporting of the data on my Desktop m/c.
As you say, rsync is pretty good at what it does - recognising partial file duplication & transmitting a canonical update / delta. [thanks Tridge!]

The monitoring m/c is going 24x7. If I try to rsync every copy of the page back to my Desktop, I’ll lose great chunks of data when it’s not running.

cheers
steve

--
Steve Jenkin, IT Systems and Design