[clug] Alternate Router Firmwares

Chris Smart clug at christophersmart.com
Wed May 27 03:24:34 MDT 2015

On 27/05/15 18:05, Simon Oxwell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking at replacing the firmware on my home wireless router (Netgear
> WNDR3700v2) with something a little more open, flexible and actually
> updated (vendor seems to have moved on). not to mention I'd like something
> a less black-boxy when trying to diagnose wireless slowdowns.
>
> I'm looking at OpenWRT over DD-WRT at the moment (OpenWRT seems to be more
> maintained, and I've found easy instructions for running a local DNS on it).
>
> Has anyone done this and have any opinions on which would be the better
> alternate firmware? There does seem to be a fair few choices.

Yes, I have a WNDR3800 (which is a WNDR3700v2 with more RAM) which runs
OpenWRT and I highly recommend it. OpenWRT seems the most up-to-date and
community driven project, the one that others build upon. It also
doesn't seem to compromise on free software principles either.

Just make sure your v2 is really a v2 before you flash.

-c