[clug] Alternate Router Firmwares

Simon Oxwell soxwell at gmail.com
Wed May 27 02:05:04 MDT 2015

Hi all,

I'm looking at replacing the firmware on my home wireless router (Netgear
WNDR3700v2) with something a little more open, flexible and actually
updated (vendor seems to have moved on). not to mention I'd like something
a less black-boxy when trying to diagnose wireless slowdowns.

I'm looking at OpenWRT over DD-WRT at the moment (OpenWRT seems to be more
maintained, and I've found easy instructions for running a local DNS on it).

Has anyone done this and have any opinions on which would be the better
alternate firmware? There does seem to be a fair few choices.

Simon