[clug] Keyboard Oddness

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Wed May 20 04:43:05 MDT 2015

On 20 May 2015 at 20:05, Jeff NotTelling <smee.heee at gmail.com> wrote:
> - When using the LEFT hand shift key the A, B and N keys produce nothing,
> all other keys behave as expected with the LEFT shift key
> - When using the RIGHT shift key, all keys work as expected, including the
> A, B and N keys
> - When using CAPS Lock, all keys work as expected.

I'd say your keyboard is broke, as in hardware broke. I have an
addiction to MS ergo 4000 keyboards, they are extremely sensitive to
water and other kid related detritus. What you describe sounds like
what happens when they break, except it usually doesn't involve the
shift key.  If you hadn't included the A key in the weird list I might
has suspected a numeric keypad overlaid on laptop keyboard via hotkey
thing.

Does xev capture the events? or the bios?  If it's broke in the bios
I'd say the hardware is toast, at this point your best bet is ebay for
a S/H replacement, what breed laptop is it?