[clug] Keyboard Oddness

Jeff NotTelling smee.heee at gmail.com
Wed May 20 04:05:41 MDT 2015

G'Day all,

Whilst not strictly (I think) a Linux issue, I am puzzled by a new
development with my laptop keyboard, as it doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Laptop is running Kubuntu 15.04, for the last few weeks (upgraded from
14.10), all ok, now in the last couple of days the following issue has
arisen.

- All keys on the keyboard work when using LOWER case
- When using the LEFT hand shift key the A, B and N keys produce nothing,
all other keys behave as expected with the LEFT shift key
- When using the RIGHT shift key, all keys work as expected, including the
A, B and N keys
- When using CAPS Lock, all keys work as expected.

Has anyone any ideas on this?  To me, if the alpha-numeric keys work, AND
the shift key works (for some keys) why would it not work for all?

I have tried a new profile, just in case it was some weird keyboard
assignment getting in the way, with the same behaviour.

I have not yet tried booting of a CD/USB, but that is probably my next step.

Just thought the collective here may have some suggestions, even if it is
pointing out that my assumptions of "if a key works it works" is wrong.

Cheers,
Jeff