[clug] Ubuntu hardware help in Canberra or Goulburn

David C cottrill.david at gmail.com
Mon May 4 15:29:10 MDT 2015

I did a similar operation a few months ago. There are a few different
problems to solve.

When you boot to a Linux CD/USB, can you mount the Windows portion of the
disk without errors? If not, you need to disable the 'faststart' feature in
Windows (Google it). This will allow you to rearrange the hard disk
partitions to make space for Linux. If there are many partitions, shrink
the largest and move the others forward to make space at the end. Linux
isn't fussy about where it sits, but Windows can get very stroppy.
Never interrupt hard disk reorganisation tasks. It may take a few hours.

In the BIOS, enable 'legacy boot' or work through the EFI quirks as
follows. Ubuntu installs 'grub-pc', which is the first thing that runs on
the computer. Install 'grub-efi' before you reboot the computer as it
sounds like you're using an EFI computer, which will uninstall grub-pc.
Grub-pc almost works with efi, and almost working isn't how I like to
describe a critical part of my computer.

That's about the limit of my advice for now. I'd need you to describe the
partitions and boot loader and all the things you've tried to offer up much
more.
David