[clug] Tablet / eReader

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Mon May 4 02:18:02 MDT 2015

On 04/05/15 14:52, jm wrote:
> Curious to know if anyone has come across, ideally, a tablet that is,
>
> * readable in a large range of lighting conditions (ie low light to sun
> light),
> * rechargeable via USB (tired of everything having different charging
> connectors, etc)
> * reasonably open (at least as open as Android)
> * screen size roughly in the 8" to 9" range. Anything smaller than this
> and I might as well use my phone; Large and it get too big.
> * weight is obviously a concern, but I don't have any numbers to hand.
> * could have have a thin external keyboard attached for where there's
> more typing than is comfortable with a virtual keyboard.
>

> Not in the market today. Just trying to keep an eye on developments for
> later.
>

> Jeff.

Pixel Qi seem to be the only manufacturer of a decent sunlight readable
screen:-

http://sdgsystems.com/products/trimble/yuma-2
http://www.ruggedtabletpc.com/products/xtablet-t7200 (don't know about
Linux)
http://www.inhand.com/work-view/hydra-f6/
http://www.solcomputer.com/sol-7-android-rugged.html

I went for the cheap non-touch screen answer to your specifications:-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Kindle#Kindle_DX_Graphite

You 'might' find that later Kindles (or similar devices) are also
rootable and have a built-in keyboard. I can't recommend the Kindle DX's
keyboard, but the battery life is excellent, and, Amazon pays the
internet costs.

Kind regards