[clug] USB webcam video capture

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Fri Mar 27 01:56:40 MDT 2015

On Fri, 27 Mar 2015, Andrew Janke wrote:

> Anyone happen to have done this successfully and have a magic C/L
> incantation for me? I'm attempting to use vlc but the arguments seem
> even closer to line noise than what I can achieve in perl...
>
> I figure something like this should work:
>
>   vlc v4l2:///dev/video1 --sout <magical incantations>out.avi

cvlc v4l2:///dev/video0 --sout
'#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,acodec=mpga,vb=800,ab=128,deinterlace}:file{dst=/tmp/fred.mp4}'

Give-or-take half a million options.

> On this note, any clues on how to make /dev/video devices 660 by
> default? The user is in the video group but it's not enough as the
> permissions are

> When I'd like:
>
>   crw-rw---+
>
> or even
>
>   crw-rw-rw+

Well, that would be a udev issue.  Which distribution?

Yours,
--
Peter Barker                          |   Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek.
pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au	      |   You need a bigger hammer.