[clug] What Meta-Data?

jm jeffm at ghostgun.com
Fri Mar 20 22:23:46 MDT 2015

Can anyone point me to a concrete list of the government's definition of
"meta-data" as this term seems to be very wishy-washy? I was talking to
someone in the office about the discussion on the CLUG list and his
impression was very different to mine of what was meant by meta-data. He
thought it only pertained to who had what IP address at what time or who
made what phone call to what number and when. I got the impression that
it was at least a layer or two up in the network stack that was being
talked about. I sort of tuned out of this debate for a while, so is
there something beyond the speculation of the journos and public yet?

Jeff.